Friday, January 13, 2006

How are things in Glocca Morra?


Today was a happy day for the D-Mac. Yes, its taken over 8 years but I've finally tracked down a copy of my favorite, and possibly the greatest musical of all time...
My previous copy disappeared under mysterious circumstances, possibly when I moved house. But now I have it, in all its glory on DVD!
I take it as gospel that you folks won't be as strange as me and probably don't have a love for 60's cinema (John Wayne anyone?) so I'll just come out and say it, yes, its Finian's Rainbow!
What other musical could delightfully debate such hard hitting issues as racism, bigotry and stereotyping and make them so fantastic?
The stars of the show are Fred Astaire, making his last screen dance performance. Petula Clark, a pop star at the time (remember "downtown"?), and also Tommy Steele, who puts in a crackin display as Og, the leprechaun.
You must put this on your "movies I must watch before I die list" because it kicks the ass of musical movies like Grease and the Wizard of Oz.
Also to note, this movie was directed (admittedly quite embarrasingly) by Francis Ford Coppola, who went on to direct The Godfather...

P.S. Also bought today: Back to the future trilogy for £2.25 from a charity shop
Cool Runnings 75p from same charity shop
Simply Red's Greatest Hits (Ugly git but Simply stunning)

2 Comments:

At 3:20 pm, Blogger Gareth said...

Mick Hucknall looks like King of the Cabbage Patch Kids.

I've never heard of this film, but I can't fucking stand most musicals so I won't be going out of my way to see it. And it's a FACT that films of the 50s are far superior to those of the 60s.

I cannot fault your charity shop films though. Jamaica, we have a bobsleigh team.

 
At 3:25 pm, Blogger grimbin said...

Yep, I get entertained and homeless people get homed, damn I feel good about myself today. The film is a must watch, I'll bring it when I come for me 'holiday' to Wales...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home